Thursday 28 April 2011

X is for Xanadunana

11 years ago, on a holiday in Menorca with my best friend and her family, I renamed my friend Xanadunana. To this day, her number is still in my phone as ‘Xanadunana New’!

Why?

Well, who knows why actually; we must have seen it somewhere, built on it and then it stuck. But it makes me smile every time I see it and I’m so happy she’s in my life. Nicknames are a great way to bring people closer together. They seem to come out of nowhere and are suddenly the most endearing reference possible for the person close to you. Like a secret connection that only you know.

What does it mean?

The official definition of Xanadu is ‘An idyllic, beautiful place’. How fitting. 

Xanadu Island Resort
It’s named after Xanadu, the region where a “stately pleasure dome” is located in the poem “Kubla Khan” by Samuel Taylor Coleridge. 

Xanadu is now a well-used name; as a Broadway musical, a film, a song, an island resort and a software programme. I don’t quite know how we expanded it to Xanadunana but I like it and plan to keep it!


So why is this important?

Well, because I wanted to use this blog to reflect and be thankful for the value of great friends. Some people in your life may come and go like ships passing in the night, creating a spark for the short time they’re there; whilst others remain strong and true for years and years. The latter are the friends that you want to hold on to and that’s the type of friend that my Xanadunana is. 

Sometimes life takes over and it’s easy to lose track, stop calling or get so focused on your own life and priorities that you forget about others. But if there’s one thing I’ve learnt along the way, it’s the fact that true friends should always be your priority. There’ll be moments in life when they really need you and if you’re not looking closely enough how will you notice them in need? 

And when you need them? Well, then you’re certain to hope that they’re watching out for you too.

Tomorrow we’ll be celebrating the Royal Wedding together in style – so a big Cheers to the lovely couple and an even bigger Cheers to all the brilliant friendships out there keeping this wonderful world a happy and bubbly place. 

To Chat!


No comments:

Post a Comment